AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Vic and Toni: A Story About Cancer and Love

Here's a story from Freep (the Detroit Free Press online) about a couple who has learned to complement each other's strengths and weaknesses before and during illness.

"After 22 years of marriage, cancer has provided Vic and Toni Mounts an unlikely new chapter that Toni calls 'our new normal.' Cancer, and a love story."

The title of the story: Cancer took his voice, but couple communicates better than ever

I couldn't help but read it and smile, ...initially. Then I began to wonder -- where are the sharp edges? the darkness? the petty aggravations?

The silent moments create the rhythm in the music. The empty spaces give the sculpture depth and movement. The struggles are the crucible in which the relationship can strengthen its bonds.

Am I being too cynical? Maybe Vic and Toni are one of the lucky couples who fit together from the start and let true love guide them the rest of the way.

2 comments:

Toni Mounts said...

My name is Toni Mounts and Vic Mounts is my husband. I can tell you it was not an easy road at first. Nothing looked the same. I took for granted when my husband would say, "Let go out to dinner". I left like a fish out of water. As time goes on you learn how to make things look different. When the holidays come up and your way of eating is a stomach tube you think twice about going to someones home for dinner. Now we are okay with everything. This is why we call it the "new Normal". Do you remember the poem, Footsteps in the sand"? I knew God was there and He had a hold of me. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Have a wonderful day. Toni Mounts

Barbara Kivowitz said...

Thank you Toni for sharing more of your story. I appreciate your expression - the new normal, and all the work it takes to reach that place. I wish you and Vic health and blessings.