AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Monday, February 1, 2010

Ailing Couples One-Up each Other

From an article on MSNBC about the competition and shortened fuses that can happen when both partners in a couple fall ill with the flu. As I read it I couldn't help but think of all of us who don't get over our illness in a couple of weeks. We have to continuously craft new ways of relating to our partner, and to ourselves.

It's an interesting read -- Sniffle Wars: Ailing Couples One-Up each Other

"When a partner falls ill, empathy can have an expiration date. And in relationships that are taxed or struggling to begin with, it comes sooner rather than later."

1 comment:

Kerry said...

How interesting Barbara that this issue comes up when couples have temporary illnesses. No wonder so many marriages dissolve when illnesses are unresolvable...chronic illnesses.

Today's my husband's b-day and I just wrote a post about my fortune in having such a person whose tolerance and support of my illness has been unending. Your sharing this article makes me appreciate him all the more. Kerry